Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, March 8, 2010

Mistakes

If we had to say what writing is, we would have to define it essentially as an act of courage.
—Cynthia Ozick

I just read my last blog. Again. I’m somewhat baffled. I went over it many times correcting mistakes and still, today, I found a dozen more. I set about correcting them, but I can almost bet there are more. My mistakes drive me crazy, especially when I’ve tried so hard to catching them all.

I’ll forgive myself.

It makes me doubt I’m a ‘real’ writer. In a way…that would be to doubt I’m a real person because…I forgot to bring in the mail, or forgot toilet paper at the store or... If we live, we forget, make mistakes, do things wrong.

If we write, we forget periods, commas, spell words wrong. Actually, a writer does get to edit. How lucky that is. Haven’t you had days you wish you could just go back and edit the whole, for blue’s sakes, day?

1 comment:

Kaki said...

Don't ever doubt that you're a writer: I've read your blog. And don't ever give up. It took me five years of writing and twenty years of procrastinating to get my book published. Yet through it all, then and now, the best part is the writing. Keep at it. And good luck.