Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Thursday, February 5, 2009

What I'm Reading/Watching (February)

Gran Torino: When I first saw the trailers for this movie I really had no desire to see it. It looked like just another Clint Eastwood movie. Don’t get me wrong I love Eastwood. I was watching him when he was Rowdy Yeats in Rawhide. I had a small crush on him even then. But I just wasn’t really in the mood for shoot ‘em ups. With all the bad news, bad economy, the big guy taking advantage of the little guy I just wanted to escape. This movie let me and in a way I didn’t foresee. The movie surprised me. Though I saw the direction of the plot early on (I never know if it is because of the classes I’ve taken on plotting, studying plotting or doing my own plotting but I find this true with most movies and books anymore. I know the more I write the more my view of books and movies change) it still had enough twist and turns that I didn’t get impatient or bored.

Marley and Me: I loved the book and the movie did it justice I think. Many laughs, tears, ahs and for a dog owner recognitions. A feel good movie.

My Guy Barbaro by Edgar Prado with John Elsenburg: I’ve wanted to read this since Barbaro was put down. I love horse racing and horses. This is a great story about a great horse and a tragedy, but the heart of both the horse and the jockey is inspiring.

Red Bird, Poems by Mary Oliver: It’s been a while since I’ve read poetry. It’s funny because when I was younger I made it a point to read poetry every day. I’ve been so busy pursuing my writing, squeezing my writing and reading and studying into what little time I’ve had my poetry reading was lost. More comments about this in a later blog, but for now, let me say I’m glad I decided to pick up this book. I’ve heard a little of Mary Oliver, but never read anything of hers before. This was a delight as much for her words and the return to poetry.

The Rustler by Linda Lael Miller: I’ve been reading Miller since she first got published. She stills delivers the same kind of story. I enjoy her writing and especially her dialogue and characters.

Leaning into the Wind, Edited by Linda Hasselstrom, Gaydell Collier and Nancy Curtis: A book of poetry and essays about women living on the American prairie, now and long ago, surprised me. I don’t know if I can put into word the emotions that stirred in me as I read through the chapters. I bought the book many years ago, to read as research because the novels I write are usually western historical and I wanted to hear the voices of the women who lived on the prairie, farmed, struggled.

I never got around to reading this particular book on the subject. I should have. The true stories, old and new, are of strong, courageous women—sheep ranchers, cattle ranchers, farmers, teachers, mothers. I absolutely loved the voice I found. These woman made me proud, made me think if they can do what they did I can certainly do what I need to do.

The women were the main characters but the land, also came through, shining and glorious. I’m so glad I read this finally and at this time. It gave me something I can’t really explain, but I feel more able to handle what comes my way and that ain’t a bad thing ever.

No comments: