Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Beautiful Day

Beautiful day, yesterday. Warm night. Dress, put on shoes, grab jacket, cell phone, I-pod and head out for my morning walk. Clouds to the northwest look ominous, dark and slung low, but it’s still warm. I can smell rain, but I have time. The breeze is moist, but I have time.

The rain hit at the top of the hill as I touched the chain-link fence that surrounds the Air-force base. I’m sans umbrella, but the rain starts slow and smells clean. As I pass a patch of fresh mowed weeds the smell reminds me of the inside of a barn, all yeasty oat and straw, with manure and horse thrown in. I love that smell. It takes me back to the horse-crazy days of a younger me.

Still, every year I haunt the local county fair and the stables awash in that smell. Nothing better than to be able to stroke between the long ears of a mule, the velvet of a Tennessee Walker or the tall shoulders of a Clydesdale. That way the scent lingers on me for hours, which cause me to smile even as we leave the grounds.

Back in the early days of the seventies and another recession we gave up our horses. There was a baby on the way. But that smell takes me back, always, as now. I quicken my pace, hoping to get back home before I’m complete drenched.

The birds don’t care much about the rain. I hear quail in the brush and Mourning Doves taking off for the treetops. Somewhere, a peacock asks for help and the crackle of a pheasant floats up from the wooded grove below. I could curse the rain and how wet I’m getting but I don’t. I thank the memories that simple, earthy scent gives me.

Could just one paragraph of my writing do the same for someone? Could a smell, a sight, a memory turn into the best writing I do for the week? Make it so.

3 comments:

Kaki said...

You probably already know this, but the sense of smell is the only sense that goes directly to the brain without filtering. That's why a scent can instantly trigger memories, fears, questions, whereas we have to scan memories to find the connection to a touch or sight or sound. Writer's are supposed to use scent as often as they can without being intrusive. One of the best lines I've read was, "the place smelled like Christmas." Just writing it down, puts my memories in motion, which will then trigger emotions and a connection. So yes, you can use what you've written. As is. it evoked lots of memories for me, too, as it would in any reader who doesn't live or wished they didn't live in a city. (I'm playing hooky today. Enjoying a stint on the seekerville blog--great place, lots of info and supportive people. You ought to check it out: www.seekerville.blogspot.com)

How was your fishing?

TiGi said...

Haven't gone yet. Still getting trailer ready. Don't think you were reading my blog a few months ago, but we had a break in in our trailer. Mostly the thievies just trashed things but as we get more into it, more work. Looks like we about got things ready.

Smell has always been a strong sense for me. For one thing, I can smell chocolate from a mile a way, so don't even try to hide it.

I have had a ton of questions I've been wanting to ask you. Mostly about writing. I have little contact with writers anymore because of caring for my mother, there just isn't time to go to my RWA meetings etc. I miss other writers. Thanks for your comments.

I have Open Country on it's way, so I hope it gets here before we leave for vacation. Can't wait to read it.

I'll be checking out seekerville, too. This week has been devoted to getting my computer up and running. It's been one of those things for the last little while, but I think we've solved the problem. If I ever get published I think I might have to dedicate the first book to my computer tech guy.

Kaki said...

Sorry about the trailer. I was thinking of you the other day when I was checking out another blog I visit. I may have already mentioned it to you: Dust Bowl Poetry. She's a very graphic writer like you. Interesting stuff. You might want to check it out: http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com/
Also, if you've got the time and need some fun check out my post today at romcon about un-heroic behavior. http://romconinc.com/index.php/conversations/post/382(You can probably tell I'm going insane trying to think up stuff to say). Have fun on your trip.