Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, March 27, 2009

A Better Writer


March and snow is falling heavily, the only saving grace is that it’s wet. I hanker for spring like I crave chocolate. I just want it. The winter hasn’t been all that bad, but I’m done with it. I get that old low feeling watching my garden turn white. And…the cold…after the warm days we had…well, I’m done with them, too.


I spent yesterday looking for a market for an essay I’ve been working on. I abandoned so much of my work last year. I’m trying to gather, reread and edit those things that had potential. Much of it I already had places to submit in mind.

But…everything’s changed. The market has tightened, many magazines have closed and those that are still taking submissions are paying much less or nothing at all. I could let myself get even lower than the snow brought me if I let myself. I’ll be damned if I’ll let myself. No, I was down last year and realized I am way too blessed to be depressed. I refuse to forget that.


So, what now? What do I do?

I’ll take this opportunity to become a better writer.

How? Well, I’ll:
  • Just for today be a different writer. Surprise myself
  • Take more chances
  • Try something different whether POV, style, or genre
  • Find a friend(get support. Join a writer’s group, even if it’s an online group)
  • Take a class or workshop
  • Submit something—where ever I can. What have I got to lose?
  • Find an online site that stirs my juices(WOW! Women on Writing is a website I recently found. It’s great place for all sorts of information and help. Also, if you’re writing poems or reading them or interested in poems or poets check out: Poet.org)
  • Read Writer’s Digest or the Writer. The information in just one issue is like going to a conference. More importantly, it reminds me that all writers have the same struggles.
  • Look back over my old work. Rethink. Rework. Improve it.
  • Read a good book or two
  • Be persistent and hang in there.

No comments: