Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, August 24, 2009

Miscellaneous Quotes

Today's blog is basically a comment on a few quotes I found in the back of the September Woman’s Day and how they fit my life.

Yesterday’s rain was a blessing. We’ve had little rain through the month of August here in the West. As things happened, we had a family reunion, of sorts, at a local amusement park. When we pulled up in the parking lot (already an eight dollar expense), it started pouring. We decided to make the best of it. We’d done just that so many times as a family, with my husband always being on call. It is so rare anymore for our family to get together. Scheduling is impossible with all the directions our grown children have gone. Even this day all of the family wasn’t in attendance.

But we forged on through the rain, umbrellas and raincoats in hand up to the ticket booth. We handed over money, got tickets and organized, forged through the gate to get our hands stamped and the rain stopped. From that moment on, we had a blessing of a day. It had been so long and I wondered last year if there would be anymore. It was the perfect day for me.

One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things. Henry Miller

I have had to fight and struggle so much to gain a few hours a day to write over the years. Of course, my worst enemy is myself. First, I’m compulsive about a clean house and having all my ‘work’ done before I write, but also, I just over think everything. And over worry.

I’ve been a stay-at-home mom all my married life with just a couple years of working outside the home-a stint when first married for about three years at a pet store and six months as a custodian of a movie theatre during another time of a down economy.

I tend to lower my head and plow through what has to be done and forget to enjoy myself in the process. I try hard to fight that tendency, but nine times out of ten, I don’t win. I hear that voice, (Maybe my mother’s, but it sounds an awful lot like the editor in my head, too) telling me I have to get my work done first before I can play. And in my mind, somehow, writing is play. And I tend not to think of it as ‘important.’

But worse, I do the same thing when I’m writing. There’s just so little time for me to write. Anyway, it seems like so little time that when it is my designated time to write I feel like I must have my hands on the keyboard, my shoulder to the wheel and be working (I mean writing).
Also, I am a firm believer, cheerleader, advocate, promoter of dreams. If I can give my grandkids nothing else, I want to give them their dreams. I want them to go after them, try them, and work hard to make them happen.

So, as I include the second quote for this blog, I do so with purpose because with all that said, I struggle to remember this. And it is important and even more powerful because of who said it.

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. —J. K. Rowling

No comments: