Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shotgun

It sits in the corner of my office, a relic. A Damascus twist double barrel glinting gunmetal old, the stock, hand-worn walnut filled and repaired. The etchings on the frame and hammer rubbed away in places speak of use and whisper history and stories I long to hear.

I’ve lusted after double-barrel shotguns at every antique fair I’ve ever gone to. I’ve always wanted one. But this, an early Valentine gift, is more than I’d ever hoped for. It’s not mint condition; rather, it’s charming in its imperfections.

I don’t know how old it is. Can’t find out anything about it on the internet, other than it was likely built before 1899, which is just another reason to love it. I love old things and nothing as much as old western things.

So, what stories could it tell me? What quirks would it have if it were safe to use? Who owned it? What were they like? What story will I grow from this unexpected gift? This seed.

No comments: