Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, March 19, 2010

February Reads:

The Writer’s Portable Therapist by Rachel Ballen P.H.D. : There is so much help in this book. Encouragement, inspiration, suggested writing exercises, quotes, contemplations. It is a book I'll keep close and refer to often. It covers every writing quirk I know of and gives sound, make-sense action to take. Try it.

Rewriting Monday by Jodi Thomas: Pepper Malone moves to Bailey, Texas to hide out from a former lover whose family wants her dead. She just wants to get by, write for the newspaper in town, owned by Mike McColloch, and stay alive. But that grows harder when the newspaper is targeted by someone with a grudge against the newspaper. Things get more complicated than Pepper wants when she is drawn to the newspaper’s owner.

I liked this book. I’ve read most of Thomas’s books. I like her writing. Mostly, she writes western historical. I was worried (I always worry for two reasons. I hate to see a good historical writer leave that genre because I’m finding so little in that line anymore, and often ,the things I like about the writer’s writing doesn’t seem to translate to the new genre) that she wouldn’t be as good writing contemporary, but she proved she handles it with as much skill and a lot of humor. And it is not strained humor, but low-key humor that sprouts naturally from the character. I enjoyed this book very much

Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner: I’ve praised this book on my blog right after reading it. I am waiting anxiously for the next book, hoping it arrives just before vacation, so I can spend more time reading. Maybe, I’ll be able to read it straight through.

This book had everything I love about western historical: details of the old west, strong characters, fight for survival, outlaws to hate, western scenery I love, a heroine to root for, a hero to fall in love with, excellent writing, dialogue that was sharp and interesting, description that was simply perfect. Kaki Warner is my new favorite writer. And the best part: it was a nice big book.

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout: There were thirteen short stories, each linked by Olive Kitteridge, a junior high-school teacher. It’s a story of an ordinary life and the many ways that life changes, touches others, helps and hurts those around that life. Each snippet of this woman’s life has this bittersweet touch, this truth that hits you as gentle as a reflex hammer. I experienced an actual jerk of awareness and sometimes memory. It had so much emotion of everyday life I recognized that sometimes it hurt to read, but it was uplifting and revealing and you will not forget what you read.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just wanted to inform everyone that I was able to find these books at http://www.bigwords.com. I was blown away by how much money it saved me. Seriously. It searched all the online textbook retailers and compared pricing to find me the best deal. The quality of these were great too. So from personal experience I suggest using this for any future purchases or rentals of books.