Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, January 3, 2011

Goals or Resolutions

New Years Day with family is just about perfect in my mind and this year was great. Best was all the discussions. Of course, resolutions came up. I brought it up. One daughter-in-law mentioned she didn’t do resolutions and instead, made goals. I liked that thought.

I have wonderful daughter-in-laws, intelligent and beautiful, but still, I wondered—what was it I was really trying to do? Goal or resolution? Was there really a difference? Maybe knowing would help succeeding.

Every year I do a jumpstart anyway. I get ready and decide what the next year will be like and what I want to accomplish, weeks before. I’ve learned this is one of the best ways I can fight winter blues, cabin fever and seasonal affective disorder. All of which plaque me.

It’s been several years since I’ve been really psyched to do goals or resolutions. All I wanted was to accomplish something, anything. So many things were pushed back as I dealt with MPGN and being a primary caregiver. This year I'd like to give myself and my goals more attention. I know it will be a challenge with these other things and a retired husband around. (Although, he supports my writing. Smart man, he knows it is not a matter of my wanting to write, but I need to write. If I could not write, I would.)

Still, there are so many critical pulls to my energy, things I cannot ignore or change. The best thing I can think to do is give myself a way and means to try to do them. I know…there is no try, there is only do.

So, I looked up the two words in question in the dictionary. What else would a writer do? Well, she would look the words up in a thesaurus, too. Wouldn’t she?

Goal: the end toward which effort is directed (INTENTION)
objective, aim, end, target, wish, dream

Resolution: the act or process of reducing to simpler form as a: the act of analyzing a complex notion into a simpler one. b: the act of answering: (SOLVING)
resolve, decision, commitment, pledge, promise

I realize I need both. I need a goal, but I, also, need a simpler way to reach it. I need resolve. I love that word. It sounds tough and strong. It’s me, with my chin sticking out with determination, my shoulders strong and firm, ready for a fight or a 5k walk.

And I know I can do that.

No comments: