Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Perfect Teachers

 

Sometimes, you’re just lucky and sometimes the time’s just right. And as they say, sometimes, when the student is ready, the teacher will come. I’ve found in my life, and the way it plays out, I have to be satisfied with unique means and methods for teachers to come. It is very often not a person.

So, this beginning of the year, after all the chaos of the holidays, the cooking, wrapping, shopping, and company, I was ready for a little inspiration and encouragement. Besides, there were all those resolutions/goals I wanted to meet.

The diet/live-it thing, I’ve resigned myself to realize is not a resolution or goal but more a daily way of living, but the writing thing, why, that is my soul and self nourishment. A way of life, too, sure, but sometimes, hard to maintain the upbeat attitude. I can use some help with that and with the ways and means of making my dreams come true now and again. Can’t we all?

And along comes help. All three in the form of a book. But isn’t that just like a book? The first was a book I had in my TBR shelf. I’ve been meaning to read it for years and finally, because it looked small and easy to read, but was a writing book, which I resolved to read at least two this year, fit my needs: The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell. The perfect book for me, at the perfect time. I always love Bell’s writing books. He’s to the point, with explanations and descriptions that I completely get and he touches every aspect of writing with smart, doable things to move forward with a writing career.

The next book The Productive Writer by Sage Cohen was perfect for opening my eyes to so many small ways I can sneak, steal, manage my time for more writing times and opportunities. When I read her writing books I always feel like she’s a big sister encouraging me on, telling me I can, even when the world, sometimes, tells me I can’t. So many times I feel as if everyone else is telling me how to spend my time. Cohen, tells you how to put your writing first to be better for everyone in your life.

And finally, there was Chasing the Sun by Kaki Warner, the last in her Blood Rose Trilogy. It was so nice to know there was another great Western Historical out there to read, but everything ends. This trilogy ended perfectly and thankfully, Kaki is busy writing another series.

But for a writer, nothing brings a smile, tickles up admiration and gets the writing juices flowing the same way reading a great book does. Road-map, encouragement, inspiration and example- the perfect teachers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Kaki's trilogy...she's one of my new favorite authors and I can hardly wait until her new series comes out.

Christi Corbett

TiGi said...

Kaki is not just a great writer, she is a classy gal. I've been waiting for a writer like her for many moons.