Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Point of View


Perspective is everything, isn’t it? As a writer I ought to remember that. While I was crying in my soup…well, garden, really, others are trying to save their homes and farms. Calls for volunteers has gone out for today. The rain, the snowpack has been unbelievable and the reservoirs are predicted to spill over tomorrow to add even more water to the waterlogged downstream.

Me, I’m on high ground, my garden and flowers and vegetables small potatoes. We took a drive to look at the river last night. There are two days to prepare for the run-off due to the high temperatures from today and tomorrow. Yesterday, it struggled to reach 50°, there was frost and today it will near 80°. Spring here.

I lost way less than I feared and so many aren’t so lucky. Family farms underwater, homes flooded. I feel ashamed and very blessed. And in the writing lessons of life, I see clearly today what point of view truly means.

A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding. -Marshall McLuhan

No comments: