Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, June 20, 2011

My Writer's Retreat

There is more than one meaning to retreat: An act or process of withdrawing especially from what is difficult, dangerous or disagreeable, to withdraw or a place of privacy or safety, refuge. Maybe, this time, for me, it is both.

Just back from back of the beyond—we headed for the mountains or…retreated might be the better word. Things have been…complicated. And we needed to retreat…rest and I needed a writer’s retreat. That’s impossible for many reasons, but I made do with what was possible.

Still, I needed a refuge. I needed to recharge, refresh, reboot. What better place than mountain air and quiet breezes, lapping water and the smell of pine.

I took my laptop, a handful of writer’s magazines, such as The Writer, Writer’s Digest, RWR and Writer’s Journal and Barbara Abercrombie’s Courage & Craft, Writing Your Life into Story. That last was heaven-sent, I do believe.

Enough to say, I flagged, underlined or both, every page. Reading this book, I felt like I was attending the best workshop in the most relaxing place, a perfect one on one. I found gems on every page, great advice and encouragement. And somehow, I felt Abercrombie knew me and was directing the lessons to me.

The book has been sitting on my shelf for some time and I’ve looked at it longingly wishing for more time. I took the time and it was so worth it. I highly recommend this book to writers but also, to anyone working in art, writing or even anything that needs to tap into creativity would gain something from it.

No comments: