Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, December 19, 2011

The End of the Year; New Beginnings

The end of the year and I’m beginning rewrites on another book. It’s the first of a series. I’m really excited about it for all kinds of reasons. First, I love the story, not just of this story but the whole series. I think that’s important—to love what you’re writing. Second, I see so many possibilities for the story, ways to improve the good ideas and fix the bad; make the writing better, tighter, more who I am.

I think I was afraid to do that, then. I still am, but I’ve learned it’s Ok to be afraid, but do it anyway. And the best thing I’m finding is that the struggle, the difficulties I had with Tie-down Man (from writing to editing and everything in-between) has served me well going forward. I’m not going to waste a detail of what I’ve learned. Anyway, that’s what I’m determined to do.

I’m feeling positive and excited for the rewrites and the new year is the perfect timing, I think. Nothing to distract me like gardens calling or vacation on the horizon. Better yet, an article on the internet from TIME.com, titled Galley Girl: Linda Lael Miller and the Rise of the Cowboy Romance Novel, declares Alpha men are back with cowboys help to lead the way.

Sarah Wendell, author of Everything I know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels and cofounder of SmartBitchesTrashyBooks.com says the cowboy has inherent nobility. I agree, besides there are the horses, too. (I haven’t yet outgrown my horse crazy past.) Past that draw is the nobility of those that people the West. I admire their strength and courage, the inventiveness, the landscape, the history. Maybe, because it is, in a small part, my history.

In the same article, Linda Lael Miller mentions authenticity and integrity. I think these two qualities are very compelling now. In an interview with Anson Mount, who plays Cullen Bohannon on the AMC series Hell on Wheels, (By the way, I’m loving this series) Mount explains that he sees Cullen as led by his gut—making choices on right or wrong, ideas of justice and vengeance gut calls. There is something very authentic about living that way and maybe, there is, also, the sense we’ve come too far from that. We don’t always trust our gut instincts or the idea of doing the right thing because it’s right.

So, I’m beginning the new year with high energy and hope. The best way to start.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year


Quotes for the year:

So many of our dreams, at first, seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and…soon, they become inevitable. Christopher Reeve

The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, “Is there a meaning to music?” My answer would be, “Yes.” And “Can you state in so many words what the meaning it?” My answer to that would be, “No.” Aaron Copland

Fools may laugh at me, but the wise understand.” Lin-chi

Always stay in your own movie. Ken Kesey
Go—not knowing where.
Bring—not knowing what. The path is long, the way unknown. Russian Fairy Tale

Each day a day goes by. Carlo Goldoni

Remember: information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. Frank Zappa
To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Robert M. Pirsig

The greatest thing a human soul ever does in this world is to see something and tell what it saw in a plain way. Hundreds of people can talk for one who can thing, but thousands can think for one who can see. To see clearly is poetry, prophecy, and religion, all in one. John Ruskin

Be grateful for every detail because tenacity will get you there and gratitude will not allow you to be angry when you’ve arrived. Henry Winkler

Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, at an arm’s length. It has always been watching you. It always will until the day it taps you.
The thing to do when you’re impatient is…to turn to your left and ask advice from your death. An immense amount of pettiness is dropped if your death makes a gesture to you, or if you catch a glimpse of it, or if you just catch the feeling that your companion is there watching you. Carlos Castaneda

No comments: