Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, April 23, 2012

Attitude is Everything


I need to improve my attitude. I can’t just do my work, or as I say, “Don’t wish for it, work for it,” or just “believe in the unbelievable, believe in yourself.” I need more attitude than that. Here’s my list:

·       Don’t wait. Do it now. Write down that idea. Edit that poem that is almost ready to submit. Plan now. Buy that needed, used up supply now (so you don’t put off printing, sending, post-it noting, whatever)

·       Control your doubts, control actions. Think big as long as you’re thinking

·       Find, refind, build, love the passion you always had for writing. Remember that passion and why. It’s still there. It’s what matters most. It’s what helps you overcome doubts, difficulties and brain drought.

·       Know that the one constant is change. Especially now. Especially in publishing. Stay open to change. Remind yourself about all the writers you’ve heard of that were published without going the traditional route.

·       Learn from every rejection, setback, interruption, writer’s block. Ask how you can avoid the problem next time? Remember rejection is an opportunity to do it again, edit, change, improve.

·       Be more grateful with the opportunities you have. Give yourself credit for your successes. Remind yourself the odds of you getting published in this or that. Whenever you do get published, know it was stiff competition.

·       Listen to your gut. Listen to your heart. Hope you don’t have indigestion or heartburn

·       Remember, this is your life—your writing life. Take a hold and do it your way. Don’t change what you’re writing with every whim or subject that has caught on. Be and write who you are. You will never go wrong being and writing yourself because no one else can do it the way you can.

·       You’re shy—painfully shy. Acknowledge that and try to at least leave a good impression but, again, be yourself.

·       Never stop learning. Improve your writing in any way you have the opportunity, even if it is a small improvement. Never, ever think you know it all.

1 comment:

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I found your blog in the spin-off mag I`ve been getting for years.You have so much wisdom to share,thank-you,phyllis