Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

End of Poetry Month

The last day of Poetry Month and I’m so pleased with how the decision to do poetry during my writing time this month turned out. The concentrated attention moved my poetry writing goals forward better than I expected.


I edited, polished and entered four poems: Songbird, Gone Missing, Not Someplace, My Place and Current Creek Reservoir into two contests, edited and polished Ginger Tea of Melancholy, Abandoned Stories, Lost Boys, Others, Unadvertised Special, Not Wolf #25, Hosanna and Kelton for contests later this year.

That’s, also, thirteen, a baker’s dozen more poems toward my goal for a chapbook and thirteen potential wins. Here’s hoping.

Better yet, I have several new poems in their first or second drafts that excite me: Mother’s Lilacs, Canterbury Wars, Butterfly Ridge, You and Me and An Old Yellow Dog and Enough, plus more than a dozen poem seeds or sketched first drafts. That doesn’t include the poems in various stages of drafts I took another look at, wrote down thought notes about and essentially, moved forward.

The month’s been very productive, but that’s the thing, the more I do, that more I can do. Poetry had always fed the writer in me and the soul of me. I need the poetry when life gets tough and it has been that these winter months.

The hardest part about concentrating only on poetry has been all the other writing that took a back seat this month. Stories still nagged at me, the solutions to problems made themselves known. I took copious notes, tried valiantly to keep organized (with a bit of success, too) and tried each day as I closed my computer to have a plan for the next day. For the most part this worked so well, I’ll continue this method, even when I begin again tomorrow working on Hearts High.

The break has been great. I’m looking forward, excited about the one scene I have left. I was struggling; the break has changed my attitude. I’m no longer dreading it. It’s a pivotal scene and a difficult one. It involves poker and detail and conflict, but luckily, I’ve consulted and played through the scene with one of my sons, going over the way the scene would play out and why many times. I hope I can translate all I learned into the scene.

Things I learned:

A change can help with the doldrums.

Never ignore the poetry too long.

A little research, deepens any writing.

Tiny, insignificant, quiet steps can get you through hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TiGi,

I can't find a "contact" me email anywhere so I'm leaving a comment here.

YOU WON my contest on Jillian Kent's blog! Can you contact me ASAP so I can get your address and send out your prize package of writing goodies?

You can reach me at christicorbett@gmail.com

Congratulations!!!!!

Christi Corbett