Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, January 12, 2009

Daily Walk (1)

I have found one of the most important things for me to do for myself and my writing is my daily walk. I’ve been walking two miles a day for over thirty years. Some times more regularly than others, but usually several times a week, at the least. Most often there’s been a canine companion, off and on a human, but the walk has never been about companionship or exercise.

For me, walking has been a form of meditation, a rhythm that sets my mind free. Others may dance or do yoga, I walk. A sort of movement therapy, I guess. I feel my mind and body connect, join and dance as I walk.

When I have a problem with a writing project walking never fails to bring new thoughts and ideas to mind. At the very least the fresh air clears my stagnant mind. There is a peace with being outside and I’m lucky enough to have a quiet, semi-wild place to walk. Blessed to be joined often by deer, fox, badger, hawks, owls, rabbits, quail, pheasant.

Walking invigorates me and chases away fatigue. It fills me up. Clears my mind. I let the sounds and sights and smells gather into all the cracks and crevices that have formed in my often over-stressed mind. Calm washes over me as I follow the well-traveled path. If I tire I whispered a reminder to myself, “Nose over the toes,” and push on.

Of course, with routine and the daily grind there have been times I didn’t want to walk. Times I felt too depleted and I have had to fight my lazy nature. If not for my dog’s pleading brown eyes and the constant nagging voice in my head saying, “Put on the shoes,” there have been times I might have skipped my walk, even knowing I would feel better if I just did it. So, I put on my shoes. Once they're on, there was never any reason not to use them.

Perspective changes things though. For several months this summer I wasn’t able to manage my walk. I missed it so keenly, sometimes at night I dreamed of walking, dreamed of the landscape, the trees, the deer, the wildlife. I ached for the simple pleasure, the physicality, the routine of walking. Like everyone who has gone through a sudden change, I wanted my old life back.
As I got feeling better I started walking again. Short walks at first, further each day. As I struggled I gained a whole new appreciation for the simple act of walking. Gained a whole new appreciation for many things I took for granted.

If you can walk, try it. Walk for five, ten minutes or even a half hour. Let your mind clear, your body swing into its natural rhythm. Let it fill you with a simple pleasure.

No comments: