Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, January 2, 2009

What I'm Reading/Watching (Dec 08)

Australia, the Movie: I loved this movie. It had all the elements of stories I love—a woman rising to the occasion after bumping into her upbringing and nature, a sexy man, a sweeping, beautiful, wild landscape and history. I love to see characters faced with a changing world step up and not only surviving but grasp life and live it. It’s been a long time since a movie like this has been made. And the music was wonderful. As sweeping and haunting as the land and the movie.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer: I decided I needed to read this book. Everyone is talking about it and vampire books seem to be gaining in popularity. I wanted to know what all the hype was about, but I wasn’t sure I could give it a fair chance because (no pun intended) vampires have always left me cold. In my day, Dark Shadows, was all the rage. Everyone I knew couldn’t wait to put their kids down for their naps and watch it. Not me. Never could get into it. Didn’t understand it, but then, everyone has their own Barnaby.

Myself, I’m a Beauty and the Beast kind of gal.

So, the book didn’t grab me, as far as characters. The plot was good, as was the writing. Clearly written for YA audience, I understand why pre-teens and teens would like the book, but it was a bit bland for my taste. My daughter-in-law did tell me she thought the next two books might spark my interest more. I’ll try to read them if I find myself without a book I’m more interested in.

Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure, edited by Rachel Fershleiser and Larry Smith: Loved this. A quick read. Bittersweet, poignant, sad, funny. I think every writer should read this book and try to write a few six word memoirs. About yourself, about the characters in your books, about those you know. It sharpens your thoughts, condenses a life to the most important thing about a person. I think this is a book I will revisit often. Gives a person pause for thought. Never a bad idea.

Telegraph Days by Larry McMurty: I like McMurty and this book proved fun. ‘Nellie’ Courtright, the heroine was quite the character. It wasn’t his best book though but it won a smile from me several times—enough for now.

Seduce Me At Sunrise by Lisa Klepas: I've liked Klepas for years. This book is typical. A good love story with pathos, conflict and great characters. A nice read.

Wesley the Owl by Stacey O’Brien, The Remarkable Love Story About a Girl and Her Owl: There are lessons to be learned from Wesley, but also many to learn from O’Brien. They both show us the Way of the Owl. Some of the science about animals in this book confirms my own sense and is something to think about, ponder and maybe, consider more often than we do.


No comments: