Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, April 3, 2009

Soundtrack

A few weeks back I read an article in my local paper about how music helps us cope. You know, you hear a song and you’re back to that heartbreak, that boy you were crazy about or that time when you thought you had the world by the tail.

The reporter of this article poised the question on his blog and his Facebook. He said he got a lot of response. The question does get you thinking, doesn’t it? I remember years ago on Ally McBeal her therapist told Ally to figure out the song of her life. That too, started me thinking.
Music, certain songs are the background of our lives. Hearing them again is one of the quickest ways to take a time trip into remembering. What songs get you thinking? What songs remind you of heartache and joy? What song do you use to get you through a tough time? Do you have new ones that help you or old standbys? What songs tell your story? Why?

As a young girl I would listen to my Disney records for hours or eaves-drop near my brother’s bedroom door, listening to rock n’ roll.
Little April Showers, Love me Tender, Runaway takes me back to those simple times

Hey, Jude by The Beatles brings a smile as I remember entering my high school building early mornings singing with my best friend or driving the Boulevard, the windows down blaring California Dreaming by The Mamas and The Papas.

Music sustains us, holds us up. I played Barbara Streisand’s
Don’t Rain on my Parade and Neil Diamond’s I am…I Said and Song Sung Blue and …well; I listened to a lot of Diamond’s music as a young mother. Danced around the living room with a baby in arms to Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show praying it was my salvation from baby blues and mostly, it was.

Annie’s Song and Sunshine on my Shoulders by John Denver as my oldest started the teenage years. Fire and Rain by James Taylor, Rainy Days and Mondays by The Carpenters, Said I Loved You, But I Lied by Michael Bolton carried me on.

More recently,
If You’re Going Through Hell by Rodney Atkins, Stand by Rascal Flats and Stand Back Up by Sugarland speaks to me. What about you? Use this as today’s prompt. Go back, think about the music that stood by you, lifted you, whispered through your life. List them, listen to them, tangle up your now with them. Find a story, find your story. Remember and let the memories fill you with inspiration.

No comments: