Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, April 6, 2009

What I read in March 2009

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle: My father introduced me to Psycho-Cybernetics back in the 60s. The power of positive thinking. He believed in it and convinced me, but it’s hard to put into practice. A New Earth is essentially covers the same thing, but better explains why it is so hard to do and gives several benchmarks that alert you to negative thinking.

That is a key for me, because negative thinking sneaks up on me without me even realizing it. It’s just a knee-jerk reaction for most of us. I like the message in this book. A lot. I think I need to read this book several times, but if I just remember some of the key elements, my life will improve.

Another plus was the assurance that if you question your reactions you will improve your outlook. That is the beginning of creating a positive life. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to make positive change.

First Comes Marriage by Mary Balogh: I’ve been reading Balogh for years. I’ve always liked her writing and her stories. She builds wonderful characters and her dialogue is fun to read.
This book is the first of a series involving the Huxtables. This story is about Vanessa, the second daughter, who is widowed. There is intrigue, secrets and discovery, and, of course, love.


The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin: I bought this book years ago because I heard so much about Martin’s Shopgirl, especially from writers. I was curious what kind of writer he would turn out to be. Though I knew he started his career as a comedy writer, I wondered how that might translate to a novella.


I couldn’t find Shopgirl at the book store, but found The Pleasure of My Company instead. It’s been sitting in my TBR (to be read) pile ever since. I haven’t been able to get to the bookstores as regularly as I used to. (How I miss that) so I’ve resorted to my TBR stack. (Probably a blessing in disguise, I’m saving tons of money).

This book took me by surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it—the writing, the characters, the humor or wit (which I find I sometimes just don’t get what others think is funny). I read the whole book with a big silly smile on my face (reminiscent of Martin’s). I would recommend this to anyone who needs cheering up
.
Daniel Pecan Cambridge is the narrator. Full of neuroses and obsessions (surprisingly a bit like me), he explains his thinking in a reasonable manner. I completely understood his ‘rules’. In fact, he seemed just like me—and a lot of other people I know, but he didn’t function in his world very well. How he copes with the problems and setbacks in his life make those I have seem simple. And, there is a happy ending.


Wonderfully written, this is a keeper in my mind, but I realize I have a mind just a little like Daniel Pecan Cambridge and that gets me wondering.

Selected Poems by James Applewhite: As I said earlier, my goal was to read more poetry. I try to read poetry every day. This was the first collection I tackled.

I read an article written by Applewhite in one of my writer’s magazines a few months back and became interested in his poetry. He has a wonderful way of looking at things. His rhymes are often unusual and he has a command of words. His poems were descriptive and honest, but I have to say some of his subjects were hard for me to understand and get into.

Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas: Kleypas is another writer I’ve been reading forever. Blue-eyed Devil is a contemporary romance, which is not my favorite genre, but this was good.

It brings Hardy Cates and Haven Travis back together after a brief meeting two years before. Haven has come back home with a guarded heart and enough history to be wary of any man.


Kleypas deals with the issues of abuse in an informative, positive but sensitive way in this story. Good dialogue, wonderful characters.

I Try to Behave Myself by Peg Bracken: Originally written in 1959, the advice in this book is rarely useful in these times and, yet—I loved reading these outdated rules about manners. So many have no place now, but some were surprisingly valid. What I liked most was Bracken’s no-nonsense reasons for doing or not doing what was considered appropriate for the times.

Her gauge was to do what makes sense; don’t hurt anyone and do what expedites the situation. Believe it or not some of Bracken’s solutions to sticky situations still work, even though proper etiquette has changed.


I’ve set out to read all the Peg Bracken’s books I hadn’t read years ago. I enjoy her writing, love her voice but this book was also a great way to view those times.

No comments: