Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, November 9, 2009

November Reads:

Homer’s Odyssey by Gwen Cooper: This is a true story about a blind kitten that Gwen Cooper adopts with some reluctance. She already had two cats, a broken heart and financial trouble. But once she meets Homer, she senses how special the cat is. And he is.

The story of this amazing cat is well crafted and well written and when Cooper talks about the aftermath of 9/11 from the point of view of a resident of New York and a pet owner, I am so invested in the situation I can’t put the book down. As an animal lover, this is my worst nightmare, really. Of course, it is people first, but the thoughts of those poor animals in that area of New York, not understanding what is going on, where their humans are is wrenching.

So, the book was a good-read, but also, it made me think a bit more about what to do, what to have in place in the event of disaster and that I need to be prepared for my pets, too.

Wicked All Day by Liz Carlyle: I’ve been a fan of Liz Carlyle since her first book. Her books are rich in detail, her dialogue always makes me smile, her characters are finely drawn. This story about the unmarriageable Zoë Armstrong and Stuart Rowland, Marques of Mercer didn’t quite meet my expectations.

Stuart’s brother does the unthinkable by compromising Zoë and the two become engaged, though they only love each other as brother and sister. It just seems as if no own acts honorably in the end. At the end of the frolic, I felt a little flat. Oh, the dialogue was still there, as was the well-drawn characters, but the story didn’t spark my interest much.

Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah: Meghan and Claire have had a tough childhood, living through a dysfunctional family. This is a story about the disappointments that comes with love and family. It’s also a story of how two sisters work their way back to each other. The characters are pitch-perfect. Watching each sister grow, forgive and struggle to be there for each other was a journey all sisters should make. It explores that sometimes tough, sweet, complicated and tender emotion of sisters.

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah: As Between Sisters was a story about sisters; Firefly Lane is a story about best friends. In fact, to me this book was a wonderful love letter to friendship. I don’t believe Hannah could have written such a book without knowing how it feels to be a friend and have a friend.

This book shows it all: the jealousy, the backstabbing, the unconditional support, the decades flying by, the growing up, growing apart and the coming back together.

Tully and Kate form their friendship during the tough middle school age, what better time to find a best friend forever. Despite the differences in their upbringing, they hold onto that friendship through things that would shatter most. Different life choices and betrayal make the friendship more than rock during the years but always they hold onto each other.

The book was well written as is expected of Hannah, but what I took from the book was the examination of what friendship truly is. I mourn that more of us don’t have this kind of friend to go into our later tough years with. Those of us that do ought to send a note of gratitude to our friends the minute we finish this book. It is a rare commodity and we need to cherish it.
I would like my sister, my daughters-in-laws, my friends to read Firefly Lane and to value the friendships they have.

No comments: