Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Thursday, November 5, 2009

November Godsends:

November has never been a favorite month, though I was born in it. It always seemed dreary, heralding cold and snow. I’ve learned to appreciate it though, to take the little joys from the days and savor them. Is it age that’s taught me that? Being sick and wondering how many more Novembers I get did help me see more to enjoy, but I’d learned before even that. The addition to the house helped, too. More than anyone will ever know. (I know.) More sunlight.

So simple.

In fact, my home is flooded in sunlight now that the south end of the house is opened up, with as many windows as I could put in. I didn’t know why that was important to me when we remodeled but....I, sometimes, wish I had as much when my kids were small, money was tight and I was a stay-at-home mom. There were rough days and yet…not a one I regret.

I realize now, I have seasonal affective disorder or winter depression, but years ago I didn’t understand the gray blanket of depression that would suddenly surround me. Still, I had some sense of it because I stockpiled a few things knowing I’d need them: new houseplants, yarn for crocheting, good books.

I didn’t know about the light, about making sure I had twenty minutes of it every day. I didn’t know to get outside and gather some vitamin D. I do now. I didn’t know how important it was for my well-being writing was. As a young mother, I thought I was doing the most loving, unselfish thing by devoting myself completely to my kids. All my life I wrote through the hard times, except when my kids were small. I thought I didn’t have time. I thought I would be taking something from them. I was wrong.

Sometimes the most loving thing you can do for your family is be good to yourself and give to yourself what you most need. For every young mother who also aspires to be a writer, who needs to write to hold on to herself, I want to encourage you to take some writing time. Know it is not selfish. It is brave, and unselfish, and necessary. A godsend.

This month’s godsends:
  • Geraniums still blooming on the patio
  • Another good read
  • Hot cocoa
  • Gratitude
  • Making pies
  • Trying to outthink Mr. Squirrel
  • The end of garden chores (as much as I love gardening, a relief)
  • Books of quotes (if you haven’t noticed a passion of mine)
  • Gathered family
  • The valley I see on my daily walk






No comments: