Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving and it’s time for thanksgiving. I really can’t come to this day without feeling a huge sense of gratitude. I spent yesterday looking for a few quotes to put on my bulletin boards I have around the house and on the front porch to reflect my emotions.

None really express it. None of my blogs where I’ve written about my gratitude do either. I am a word person, but there are not words to express how grateful I am that I feel better. Healthy, even. And I have so much more to be grateful for. A great family, my mom still with us, a sister , I feel closer to, like we’re friends, or like back when we had kids and talked to each other every day. And I have good friends, and more than that, I have enough. Enough food, clothing, heat, health insurance, transportation.

And, I’m writing again. Not safe little things, but stories, poems (some of the best I’ve ever done, I think.) I sent out a submission just Friday. It wasn’t so long ago I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to do that. Not so long ago, I couldn’t string my thoughts together. And while it’s a little thing in the scheme of things, it’s huge to me.

I’ve been dreaming again, and about my writing. It was the strangest, most disturbing thing to have my dreams turned off, just like the screen was shut down, no longer connected. I am so grateful the idea of going back to the beginning and poetry, came to me. I can’t help thinking something bigger than me guided me. Knew how healing the writing would be for me and guided me. Or maybe it was just Esmeralda Plug. (I’ll tell you all about her in another blog.) So, I have to say how grateful I am that I found Melanie Faith and her poetry workshops. They were just what I needed, just when I needed. And, how about her last name.

During this time of year, what I have stands out in sharp contrast to what so many don’t. I don’t want to take that lightly. So, while I’m elbow deep in pie crusts and bread crumbs, I intend to appreciate what I have. I won’t moan about my last rejection, or not winning (or placing) in my last poetry contest. I’ll just be grateful I’m able to do what I so love. And it isn’t just being able to…It’s being able to.

No comments: