Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, January 25, 2010

Break In

I was all set to start out today with a quick blog about avoidance activities that actually help me work. Arthur Plotnick has an article in the Writer (www.WriterMag.com) this month on the subject. It was a great article and at the end, he suggested taking a list to a meeting with my writing group or posting a list on a forum. This is my group. This is my forum and I had a pretty good list, too.

What was not on my list was a trip to my RV storage lot to check out my trailer that was broken into over the weekend. But reality stared me in the face as I stepped into my trashed trailer. Oh, this will end up in my writing. I have no doubt. Everything that happens ends up there. It never looks the same, but it’s there. What I live, what I feel, the emotions find their way into my writing.

But as I stared at the mess, I just felt creeped out. No other words for it. Someone pawing through my stupid, worn-out, worthless stuff. For what? Nothing of value there. The worst thing they took from me was my time and peace of mind.

It took a while for the anger to kick in, but it did. Ok, they broke into my trailer, but worst was they broke into my life and tossed it. Everyone is battling difficult fights, losing jobs, trying to follow an impossible dream, raising kids, caring for an aging parent. There are those who help with a smile or and helping hand and there are those that just make things worse. How can you make the choice to make things worse? What kind of person does that?

No comments: