Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, November 22, 2010

Platform

Writers are supposed to have a platform. Publishers are reluctant to take on writers without one.

The only platform I have is, I write. I want to write. I love it. I struggle with and for it. That passion is what has pulled me through illness, heartache, rejection, worry, happiness.

That is the only ‘plateform’ I can think applies to me. Blogs and social networking is necessary, but you need a platform for it to do its good. I can’t give advice on my blog or hints that I don’t think I qualify as knowing. I can’t go about giving advice to anyone unless I’m certain. I mean, I even second-guess me.

My policy as a mother, daughter, sister, friend and writer is to only give advice about the things I am certain of. Oh, I’ll give opinions, all right. I’m full of opinion, but I try to remember to preface anything like that with a reminder that it is only my opinion and I could be wrong. Because I am, often.

As to writing, any discussion is going to be a short one, because I’m just not certain of much when it comes to writing. Oh, I’ve been writing since the first grade, but do I qualify to give our advice? Besides, I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that, honestly, anything could work or nothing. In my opinion, of course.

But…one thing I know a whole lot about is struggling, floundering, and just doing the best I can as a writer. I know striving, grasping for positive reinforcement, studying, learning, failing, failing again, failing better, wrestling doubts, fighting the let down of rejection and pumping up my own confidence. I know about not wishing, but working, writing the best I can, even if it’s not ‘good enough.’

Now, if that’s ‘platform,’ I have one.

No comments: