Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, November 1, 2010

Ten Things That Keep Me Writing


  • I stay in my office. I do the work. Fight the distractions, even if it feels like that’s all I’ve done that day. Even if it feels like I only got two words written, I don’t leave until my time’s up, then I start again tomorrow.

  • I let a lot of things go. I’ll never have everything done so I’ll have time to write, so I write first, then tackle the stuff.

  • I realize, I don’t need workshops as much as I need to just write.

  • I decide. I’m in charge of my time. I’m the one who decides what distractions and interruptions I allow to get through.

  • I know the odds are against me, so I enjoy the process, but…BUT…I know that with persistence the odds tip in my favor.

  • I never go anywhere without pen and paper. There’s no telling where I might find my next great idea or detail or gem word. I keep myself open and I’m always ready to capture the treasure the universe sends my way.

  • I try to ignore the bad news about publishing and be happy I’m doing what I love to do. I get as much joy as I can accomplishing what I set out to do.

  • I allow myself a half hour funk for rejection. Tell myself it wasn’t my turn and try again.

  • I take time for myself and my well-being. I exercise, eat right 80 % of the time, unplug, have fun, do something just for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toni,

I found your blog through your comments on Kaki Warner's blog and thought I'd come on over.

I like this list, especially the one about never going anywhere without pen and paper. I've found myself using the randomest things like crayons (I have five-year-old twins) and backs of envelopes or grocery receipts. Anything to get the sudden ideas out of my head :)

Also, I think it may have been Thumper's mom that said that quote about saying nice things?

Christi Corbett

TiGi said...

Aw, Christi, thanks for reminding me I needed to correct that. You know, I knew better, too. I only watched and listened and read Bambi a million times, but sometimes...and you'll see what I mean, with twin boys and a writer, too. The brain just goes on vacation.
Keep that pen and paper close and keep writing.