Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, December 3, 2010

Shop the Bookstores


RWA is encouraging its’ members to support the bookstores in their communities this holiday season. I’m all for that. It’s broken my heart to watch the small bookstores around here struggle and go under. I see the chain stores struggle (Barnes and Nobles, for goodness sakes) and wonder what shopping for a book will be like in a few years.

For a lover of books in every form and condition, it breaks my heart at the prospect. No more quaint little stores with bells on the door, worn carpets and cubbies with chairs. The best books I’ve ever found, I wasn’t looking specifically for. I was book browsing, thumbing through pages and book covers hoping to find something that sparked my interest. I found Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton, that way. I’ve found new authors I might never have tried wondering the isles with nothing more on my mind than a good read. You don’t get that serendipity with the internet.

And it’s my belief you need a little of that once in a while. Serendipity brings joy, broadens your interests and mind, and keeps you from the same old, same old.

Now, I know the internet bookstores offer amazing benefits, benefits I’ve taken advantage of. I was able to find a set of The Junior Classics (copyright, 1912) and replace the set I grew up with that had gone to my sister. I tried for thirty years before using the internet and I’m tickled that I did. It is my childhood in a set of ten books and gosh, all lightening, I’m not sorry I have them.

Yes, I’m well aware of the advantages of online shopping, but I also think there is room for both kinds of stores and we need to support both. So while you’re out doing your Holiday shopping remember what a wonderful gift a book is and buy just one for someone on your list from a local bookstore. Buy one book for your granddaughter, or your mother, or sister. Just one.

You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many books. —Carter Burden

No comments: