Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Keep Writing

Sunshine yesterday and I put the tomatoes and geraniums I’m babying in a little patio hot house out on the retaining wall to bask. I know how they feel, being cooped up inside with nothing but gray skies, cold and wind. That’s the way Mother Nature rolls around here, this year. I’ve tried talking to her. She’s not listening. Not even to desperate pleas.

I drove past a neighbor, sprawled spread-eagle on his lawn in the sunshine and knew exactly how he felt. (After making certain he was alive and well and doing what I, so envied him doing. Why didn’t I think of that, anyway? Too much impulse control, I suspect. Well, dang it, stop it, right?)

Today, the morning is bright with sunshine and I’m inside typing this blog, but it’s so cold and the wind takes all the heat from the sun. This has been a harsh spring with the lack of sunshine and warmth. It makes me appreciate my foresight in planting daffodils, hyacinths and pansies.

Maddie Rose, too, has been feeling the effects of the gray, cold spring, resorting to stealing pens, paper clips and anything else I use for writing, in hopes of a chase to break up boredom.

The garden’s tilled and ready for planting. I am, too. Poetry month is almost over and though I’ve read a poem every day, that’s about it. I meant to do more. So, a few more writing contest deadlines are around the corner. I think I’ll plant a few poems in lieu of flowers and see what comes up. That’s the plan.

Keep on writing, living and trying.

2 comments:

Christi Corbett said...

Loved that you made sure the sprawled neighbor was alive :)

How are the contests going? Did you enter any more?

Christi Corbett

TiGi said...

Christi, I just entered 3 poems in Writer's Digest's 80th Annual Writing Contest. The Grand Prize is a trip to New York City to meet with publishers. I've never flown and am terrified of it, but I have never seen a poem win the grand prize. I'm not expecting to either but when I think how close I came with the recent 4th place, I get a bit sweaty. Still, I sent them in.
And I enter a short story in Writer's Magazine's Short Story contest. Why not? I entered the same story in the Family Circle contest, didn't win, but I love the story. And I'm waiting on another contest for Tie-down Man.
More than anything, the critics are great. Some suggestions I listen to and some...not so much.
So, in other words, I keep on trying and it's all good. How about you? How is your writing coming?