Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bagged It

So, come afternoon I went in search of Kaki Warner’s book HEARTBREAK CREEK, just released yesterday. I could have downloaded it on my Kindle, but for this book, it had to be the real, solid, hands on thing. I planned an old-fashioned reading orgy as soon as I finished my current book, Texas Blue by Jodi Thomas, another favorite author in Western Historicals.

First stop, Wal-Mart. Not my favorite place for books and really, I was just hopin’ that as long as I had to run to the bank and they had a bank in Wal-Mart, I could combine errands. No luck.

Next, Target, pretty good around here for books, but no HEARTBREAK. Then, a phone call to the nearest Barnes and Nobles, not really that far, but compared to a few years ago, far. There were two great bookstores just two blocks from my house a few years ago. I hate to even say how much money I used to spend at the two stores. (Plus, a B Dalton at the mall not five miles from here. Now, a trip on the freeway many more miles away.) I can tell you this…it was every penny I saved clipping coupons for groceries. That was how I got the money for books when my boys were small. It was a challenge and the only way I could afford the tons of books I read, too.

My boys would wager on how much I could save and watch the receipts reach the floor, cheering me on. Of course, they got some of the money for their own reading. (I have good readers.) Actually, I still do it, even now, when I don’t really have to, I cut, sort and use coupons for book money. I buy fewer groceries, save less with coupons, but I use every penny on books. (And a bit more, too. Books are as important to me as food…all except, chocolate…oh, and as you know office supplies. But that’s just another addiction. I have so many.)

I digress…Anyway; I bagged a copy of HEARTBREAK CREEK before it was even out on the shelves. I was shocked that none of her other books were on the shelves and mentioned it to the clerk that checked me out.” Hey, Kaki Warner just won the RITA, maybe you ought to get some of her books on those shelves.” They looked at me like…Who is this?

I’m happy, too, and looking forward to a few evenings out on my patio with book, lemonade and quiet…Please.

Oh, by the way another addiction I just learned about, about myself: staplers. Yes, staplers. I’ll post some pictures of some great old staplers I found. For now, writing, reading and cutting coupons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a search. I've heard similar stories from other readers. SOOOOO glad you (and they) persevered. I hope you like it.

Now what's happening on the Tie Down Man?

TiGi said...

Kaki, so worth it, as I said on my facebook...you had me at: Edwina Ladoux stood at the window...

Tie-down man...It's ready, willing and maybe, able. I've got my query letter done. Wheeho! Working on Synopsis-nightmare. I think I'm too worried about doing it right, but for those agents that are asking for just query letter, I'll send what I have. It's much improve from the first one I sent. I tried one submission, then reread the query, got some suggestions from the PNWA contest: one judged love it, one hated it, but thought I don't change anything I feel right about there was one suggestion I found and felt right about. So I fixed that and am working to fix synopsis that neither judge thought up to snuff.
Thanks for asking and for all your encouragement.
Thanks, too, for a wonderful read. I can't tear myself away...except, I am making myself do the writing. I must.