Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, July 8, 2011

Uintah/Uinta

You learn something every day. Sometimes, though, I wonder if that’s because you do something stupid every day. Not stupid exactly but…And sometimes, it takes so long to find out you’ve been doing something wrong/stupid and then when you do...

Anyway, we’re down at the Forest Service office looking at maps for my husband. He drew out a once in a lifetime big game tag for elk this year. Been trying forever or at least, a long time.

I’m a tree-huger (not my word for it), an animal lover…I love shooting a gun as long as it’s at a non-living target. To explain…I’ve gone deer hunting with my husband, helping him find deer…instead, secretly, I’ve been shooing them away. Hey, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him and I figure I’m evening the odds, such as I can, in favor of the animals. Besides, that’s just what you do when you love someone, right?
I get the whole thought process behind the hunting, and believe me, there are definite sides. Loud-voiced sides and it is an argument that we just don’t really get into in our house. Like the wolf issue. I love the wolf and around here, that’s not a popular position and I even get their (the opposition, not the wolf…although I get their point, too…the wolf, not the opposition. Oh, you know what I’m saying.)point. I don’t necessarily agree, but I get it. Ranchers, hunters…they have a history, livelihood and all that. I get it. There are just some things my husband and I decided not to argue about. We each have our opinions, respect each other’s and support each other’s but don’t agree.

Actually, our whole married life…well, it’s true, opposites often attract. Makes for an interesting life. I digress, as I seem want to do…anyway, as we’re looking at these maps, it hits me…I’ve been typing in Uintah where Uinta should be. Throughout my whole darn book. I knew better. A lapse, I guess, but, dang…why? I’m so careful about that sort of thing. Thank heaven for Replace in Word. I got it all changed throughout my book, in the nick of time, by the way.

I was ranting and raving about it, wondering why, when a friend said… stop beating yourself up. It’s a logical error. You live near Uintah, they sound the same, it’s just a loop hole in your thinking.

Anyone else out there got loop holes in their thinking?

No comments: