Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

May Reads

Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs: I’ve been reading Susan Wiggs for years and have always enjoyed her books. Just Breathe was especially good. The protagonist, Sarah Moon, has a wonderful wit and writes a syndicated comic strip but some things just aren’t funny. Like her husband’s infidelity. As Sarah Moon navigates through a shattered marriage, pregnancy she keeps her humor. I love how Wiggs write about family, friends and all the gritty parts of life. Her characters are wonderful and so real. I recommend this book but with a warning to have tissues close at hand.

Death Angel by Linda Howard: I started reading Linda Howard with her first book, A Lady of the West. That book and Angel Creek are two of my favorite Western Historical. I wish she still wrote them, but she writes whatever she puts her pen to so beautifully, I can’t complain. This was a surprise though. The protagonist Drea Rousseau begins as a not so lovable, opportunist, but right quick I started rooting for her. I think that speaks to Howards carefully crafted characters. When Drea decides to ditch her boyfriend, a drug lord, Rafael Salinas she stirs up his anger. He’s not going to let that go and sends a hit man after her. This book is dark and intriguing but also about second chances.

If I Could Speak In Silk by Judy Johns: I met Judy Johns in a novel writing class. I loved her writing. She wrote descriptive, edgy, funny scenes. I always wanted more of everything I read of hers. She also won every writing contest I ever competed in and deserved to. Her writing was just good. When I heard she’d had a poem book published I had to have it. I loved it the first time I read it, but even more so this time. I read If I Could Speak In Silk again as I’ve been making a point to read poetry every day and I remembered how much I liked this book.
The rereading did not disappoint. And I feel a little extra joy opening the first page and seeing her note and signature. Johns writing is sparse and potent. Each poem read makes my heart feel cradled in her hands. She has insight and humor. Her poems are personal, yet universal. All reasons why I love her.


Family Honor by Robert Parker: Parker is always good. In this first ‘Sonny’ book he’s great. The dialogue, which is my favorite thing about Parker’s writing, is as good as always and Sonny is a lovable protagonist, smart, honest and good. If you like Parker and good mysteries, this series is a good bet.

The Art and Craft of Poetry by Michael J. Bugeja: I bought this book because it is the book used in Writer’s Digest’s Poetry Workshop. I wanted to read through it and study the book in preparation to taking the workshop. This is a guidebook through the journey of writing and reading poetry. Helpful, practical advice fills the pages. Bugeja has tricks and suggestions to improve your poetry and includes wonderful examples. I think this book should be in every poet’s reference library. For me the best part was the chapter on generating ideas for poetry.

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey. I enjoyed not only the humor but the spot on advice about how a man thinks. This is a book I would recommend to women in the dating world. I read it out of curiosity and I can see how some of this information would have helped.

No comments: