Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Friday, December 4, 2009

November Reads and Movies:

I just realized that I labeled last month’s read wrong, calling it November Reads. Well, this is really November’s. It’s been that sort of fall, but a great month of books.

The Time of My Life by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi: So much in this book broke my heart and yet, it was also uplifting and powerful. A lot of behind the Hollywood scenes, a lot of interesting insight into how films and careers are made, but mostly, there was Swayze’s and Niemi’s heart. One of the things that struck me was the voice. It seemed so much as if Swayze was sitting with me sharing a cup and a friendly chat. I’ve been reading a lot of memoirs, done a lot of different ways but I think this was the most accessible for me. Just a nice conversation. I highly recommend this.

Note: This was where I found the greatest drawback with my Kindle. I love it mostly, but…and for me this is a big but. I can’t share the books on it. Most of what I read on it is memoirs because I’ve always thought memoirs are highly personal as far as which one will interest who. But there have been several such books I’ve really wanted to share with my mother, sister, daughter-in-laws or sons.

If I have it on the Kindle I can’t. I either have to buy a book to share or encourage/hope those I recommend it to will go out and buy it. Now, I’m all for helping the book industry, I have a vested interest after all, but books are for sharing. That is just basic. You want to share a book so you can discuss it, etc. That is one advantage I can see with Barnes and Nobles e-reader: nook. You can loan your book to others with a nook, no charge. When I need to buy a new e-reader I will seriously consider it.

The Wolf, the Woman, the Wilderness by Teresa Tsimmee Martino: A small book about returning a gray wolf to her homeland. Much was learned by the wolf and the woman. Much was taught. It was a journey for the two and for the reader. Some lovely poems, too.

They Loved to Laugh by Kathryn Worth: A rereading of a book I read as a young girl. Much as I remembered. A young girl, Martitia, orphaned and thrust into a new strange life. Very interesting to see writing as done then compared to now. The innocence of that time was very clear in the writing, wording etc. Young adult books are much different now.

Bang the Keys: four steps to a lifelong writing practice, by Jill Dearman: This book explains writing to a writer. Oh, the writer knows so much of this by instinct but the world fights the writer. The writer fights the writer. Writing isn’t just writing. It is facing down demons and self and family and life in order to get things on paper. It’s having loved ones say or think: for blue sakes, just quit. (Writers say this to themselves, too.)

This book shows the writer that all of that is true, but so what. Keep banging the keys. Keep obsessively trying and doing. Keep writing.

See, the ugly truth is the hardest thing for the writer is the fight with self. There are so many distractions and so damn many reasons to be distracted. Well, Dearman shoves all these excuses into the light. Then she tells you to do anything to get around the obstacles and distractions. Then she shows you how. This book is a writer’s just do it. I needed it. I needed it now.

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg: I promised myself a few Christmas stories, just to get into the mood. And this did that with the sweetest story. I’ve always been a fan of Fannie Flagg. (Truthfully, clear back when she was on TV. Her appearances on game shows and talk shows always brought a smile) I think the thing that is most charming is the simple story of regular people told in a warm conversational voice is what I like most about Flagg’s writing.

The story begins when Oswald T. Campbell is told he hasn’t much time left to live and the best thing for him is to find someplace warm and dry to spend his last months. So, on the suggestion of his doctor, Campbell takes himself down to Lost River. In Lost River, he finds wonderful friends and plenty to live for. He also meets a redbird called Jack, who helps set in motion a miracle.

I love movies. Of course I do. I love stories. Good stories. I don’t often go to the theatre and I do love videos and DVD, but watching a movie in a theatre does add a little something to the experience.


Amelia: I have a special place in my heart for Amelia and the reason has nothing at all to do with her flying. Or maybe it does. It’s her writing. I’ve read a few of her poems and a little of her writings on flying. She had a way of writing that touches something deep in my heart. This movie showed her human side and showed her story very straightforward.

I don’t know how true this version was but Hillary Swank did a great job, but she’s another one who touches something in my heart. I think what it is with both these woman is their strength and courage to pursue their dreams against tough odds. That courage speaks to me deep down.

As I watched this movie I had a hard time separating the story from the two women. I liked the story, but I admired the women. One of my first articles for my Romance Writers of Utah newsletters started out with a poem of Earhart’s. After I’ve reread and edited it if need be, I’ll post it here.

The Blindside: Loved this. Bullock does a perfect job in this feel-good story. Michael Oher was homeless when the Tuohy family took him in. Leigh Anne Tuohy doesn’t just give Oher a place to stay, she gets involved, puts herself and her family out there for this kid. Great story and even better because it is true. There are good people in this world. This movie shows that. It also shows what a little help up can do. I truly loved this movie. It's worth seeing more than once.

No comments: