Why I Quit RWA

The complete answer to the RWA survey that was sent to me when I did not renew my membership.  Why should we be in such seperate h...

Monday, May 2, 2011

Trying

If you don’t enter the lion’s den, you will never capture the lion. Seung Sahn

Finally, a sunny day with rumors of warmth and sunshine for the whole rest of the week. It feels like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders and mood. It was a long, gray winter and spring. And truthfully, I’m not sure I should believe those rumors either, but I am going to bask in a bit of sunshine.

I’ve made huge progress on Tie-down. After the critiques from the last contest I studied the comments, decided what rang true for me and what didn’t. Then I fixed a few things and started getting it ready to send out. The query letter and synopsis are nearly finished, too, which is the hardest thing to do. I think about the journey the book and I have made and I’m very proud. If nothing else happens but that I get it to the best work I can do and if I’m proud of it, it will be so much more than I thought I could do a few years ago. Tie-down may end up in a box beneath my bed, I don’t know, but I’ll still be proud.

There have been so many times I almost gave up on this, times I actually did: packing it away for over a year, the fear or heart ache of unpacking it again and the faith I had to find to do it, all taught me more than any workshop could.

I remember how overwhelmed I felt when I opened the box with all the research, notes and the manuscript of Tie-down. I stared at the stuffed full box for a long time, searching my heart and I knew I would be overwhelmed. I had to begin with something small and concise, something that went to the heart of my writing and myself.

But I couldn’t not write and I had to finish this book to ever move on to all the other writing still in me. Somehow, I had to find a way to slip into the lion’s den. Poetry helped more than I thought it would. I’m so glad I took the chance that it would and so glad the idea came to me in that moment of despair.

If I hadn’t taken the chance on the poetry helping me write and begin again with Ella and the Tie-down Man, I wouldn’t have entered the Writer’s Digest Poetry Contest either.

Funny how that works, isn’t it?

No comments: